"I don’t want to be critical, but I think Spain doesn’t sell itself well"

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

(The Ambassador of the United States to Spain, "El País", April 22, 2010)

I know what you meant to say, Mr. Ambassador, and this time I won’t take offense. But please don’t repeat that.

Spain can’t be bought or sold. It’s true that some people have tried to do so repeatedly (both buy it and sell it). But it’s equally true that they haven’t been successful.

I know what you meant: that we need to better demonstrate who we are and what we can do. But not to “sell” ourselves better, but rather to “be” better, to help more, to have greater influence in building a world in which it isn’t the marketplace (selling, buying), but rather democratic values (social justice, solidarity, equality) that prevail.

0 comments